
I was reading on Deseret News last night about our dear prophet after my mom called and told me the news. I had very mixed emotions. I was of course very sad because I absolutely love GBH. He was just the coolest guy. but I couldn't help but think of the happiest reunion for him to be with his wife. It kind of hits home because my grandpa is 96 and my grandma passed away 6 years ago. My grandpa comes to live with my parents for the winter and he is just the most awesome person ever. He is so happy and so full of life but it always makes me sad because I know that he misses my grandma like crazy.
My most favorite memories of Pres. Hinckley was actually before he was the prophet. He was a counselor. I went with Amy (remember this?) when we were 15 to San Diego with her sister and brothers and their families for the temple dedication. We stayed in The Marriot where all the apostles were staying and saw a few of them. But Amy and I walked down to the temple together for the actual dedicatory prayer. We got to be in the celestial room where Pres. Hinckley was giving the prayer. Pres. Benson or Hunter was the prophet at the time (I don't remember) but they were sick so Pres. Hinckley came instead. He walked into the celestial room and I knew that he was a man of God. The spirit was so strong in that room and I think that was such a testimony strengthener for me at that age. Since then I've always enjoyed his words and his sense of humor. I really felt like I knew him. He will be greatly missed but I know that he has more work to do. Anyways on Deseret News.com they had a long long article on him. I can't beleive he accomplished so much in his life, and most of it was in the last 12 years while he was our prophet. Makes me think that I need to kick it up a notch.!
My most favorite memories of Pres. Hinckley was actually before he was the prophet. He was a counselor. I went with Amy (remember this?) when we were 15 to San Diego with her sister and brothers and their families for the temple dedication. We stayed in The Marriot where all the apostles were staying and saw a few of them. But Amy and I walked down to the temple together for the actual dedicatory prayer. We got to be in the celestial room where Pres. Hinckley was giving the prayer. Pres. Benson or Hunter was the prophet at the time (I don't remember) but they were sick so Pres. Hinckley came instead. He walked into the celestial room and I knew that he was a man of God. The spirit was so strong in that room and I think that was such a testimony strengthener for me at that age. Since then I've always enjoyed his words and his sense of humor. I really felt like I knew him. He will be greatly missed but I know that he has more work to do. Anyways on Deseret News.com they had a long long article on him. I can't beleive he accomplished so much in his life, and most of it was in the last 12 years while he was our prophet. Makes me think that I need to kick it up a notch.!




3 comments:
what a cool experience with the prophet! thanks for sharing that..i will miss him too
it really does hit home. im dreading the day g-pa goes to g-ma. they'll both be so happy though! its crazy how one minute you're on earth and the next youre gone to the happiest place on earth...? (and i'm not talking about disneyland kids).
Devry! I too am gonna miss Pres. Hinckley. Now we must put the words he taught into action! Hope you're well, i'm sorry i've not been on in a while!
Post a Comment